Vegas Information
Vegas SWAT teams respond to man holding woman at gunpoint at Caesars Palace
Vegas SWAT teams respond to man holding woman at gunpoint at Caesars Palace

A man was arrested and the woman he allegedly held hostage was released safely after an hours-long standoff with police at Caesars Palace resort on the Las Vegas Strip on Tuesday, police said.

The man had barricaded himself inside of a room with the woman on the 21st floor of the iconic hotel and casino and told responding officers that he was armed, according to police.

As SWAT teams from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Bureau secured the scene, the man was seen hurling furniture through a busted window from the hotel room. The ordeal forced the resort to temporarily shut down the pool as frightened guests ducked for cover.

Hours later, police confirmed that the unidentified man had been detained. No injuries were reported.

“The suspect has been taken into custody. The female is currently with officers,” the department said in messages posted mid-afternoon Tuesday. Officer Aden OcampoGomez said the woman did not appear to be injured.

Las Vegas police Capt. Stephen Connell said police responded to the hotel around 9:15 a.m. after security reported that a man and woman were arguing and that the man pulled the woman into a room “by force.”

Connell told KLAS that it’s not clear if the woman and the man are in a relationship.

When police arrived at the hotel room, the man refused to open the door and told officers he was armed, although it remains unclear if he actually had a weapon.

Connell told reporters during the standoff that the woman believed to be held hostage “has been heard from,” and was believed to be “still OK.”

Video footage posted on social media showed a man throwing furniture from the smashed window.

Beverly Blackwell of Chattanooga, Tennessee, told The Associated Press that she was lounging by a pool with her husband, Chris, when she heard the sound of glass breaking and saw curtains flutter from the broken window.

She said they immediately suspected some kind of shooting. Staff ordered guests to leave the pool area.

“When we saw the window shatter it was kind of a surreal feeling, it got pretty scary,” Blackwell said. “We were told to gather our stuff and rush out the back.”

Guest Emma Snyder said some people took cover by a staircase while a slew of hotel items flew out the window, including a coffee maker, a hair dryer, and a desk bureau.

Hotel staff told guests they could return to their rooms after about 30 minutes, Snyder said. Nobody in the pool area was hurt, police said.

Associated Press writer John Marshall, who was staying at Caesars Palace on a family vacation, said the man threw items out of the window for about an hour.

“It looks like he’s pretty much emptied the room of furniture,” Marshall said.

He said seat cushions, a chair and other items hit the ledge outside of his 5th room window, with some falling into the pool area.

Hotel staff said they did evacuate any guests outside of the 21st floor and Marshall said he saw housekeeping continue working during the standoff.

“In the casino, it’s business as usual,” Marshall said, although he noted additional security in the valet area.

Dayna Calkins, a spokesperson for the casino owner, Caesars Entertainment, called the standoff “a security incident inside a guest room” that had been resolved.

The statement credited Las Vegas police and the company’s “security and armed response teams.”

With Post wires

This content was originally published here.